Jul 08, 2020

Elderly man mentally unfit to stand trial for wife’s murder

 

A 74-year-old man has been declared mentally unfit to face trial for the stabbing death of his wife at their Merrylands home in Sydney’s western suburbs.

Father-of-three, Vincenzo Coluccio allegedly stabbed his wife Elia Coluccio while she slept before washing the knife and driving himself to the Merrylands police station where he told officers that “something terrible” happened.

Mr Coluccio had been in custody for more than five months following the night of his 63-year-old wife’s death, but he will not face trial for her murder after being declared mentally unfit by a judge who examined multiple expert medical reports.

Reports claim that one psychologist concluded that Mr Coluccio had a substantial mental impairment and mild intellectual disability, while another psychologist believed that Mr Coluccio was unsure about whether he was was was dead or alive.

It is believed that Mr. Coluccio was also fearful that his wife was “setting him up” and it is alleged that he also made claims that he believed that his wife had been cheating on him and that his children were mocking him.

“I am not satisfied that Mr Coluccio is capable of following the trial, understanding the evidence or instructing his lawyers,” said NSW Supreme Court Justice Robert Allan Hulme.

“I am also not satisfied that he can comprehend the defences open to him.”

Mr Coluccio listened to the judgment through an interpreter but remained silent throughout.

Although declared unfit for trial, Mr Coluccio will remain in custody until further order by the Mental health Review Tribunal.

 

Photo credit – iStock – SonerCdem

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Everybody’s Got a Personal Story

Is it morbid to enjoy reading about dead people? Their obituaries, that is. Well, whether or not it is, I do. So, of course, the regular obituary page in The Sydney Morning Herald is a must-read for me, as is that page in its sister paper, The Age, when I’m in Melbourne. This page, in... Read More

Aged Care Kidnapping: 51 Year Old Woman Charged

Dimitra Pavlopoulou, a 97 year old Melbourne woman was kidnapped from her nursing home on Saturday by another woman who believed that the elderly resident was her late mother. The alleged kidnapper, Irene Moschones, believed her mother’s death and funeral – which happened a few years ago – was faked as part of a conspiracy.... Read More

When Grandparents’ Expectations Clash with Family Healing: A Mother’s Dilemma

A mother is asking for advice on how to best deal with her child’s grandparents’ after they tried to sabotage her new husband’s attempt to adopt their grandson. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version