Mar 20, 2020

Government boosts funding for aged care amid coronavirus crisis

 

In a press conference this afternoon, Scott Morrison announced the government will inject a further $445 million into the aged care sector to support efforts to protect elderly Australians, who are most at risk from coronavirus.

The government will put $235 million to staffing in aged care.

“We are providing $444.6 million of additional funding from the Commonwealth to support aged care facilities. Now, that is on top of the more than $100 million that I announced last week in relation to workforce support across the country for aged care,” Mr Morrison said.

“That includes $234.9 million for a retention bonus to ensure the continuity of the workforce for staff in both residential and home care.

“There is a $78.3 million in additional funding for residential care to support continuity of workforce supply. 

“There is $26.9 million to supplement the viability of residential aged care facilities, including for national tourist trade under aged care program and the multipurpose services and homeless providers.

“There is $92 million being provided in additional support for home care providers and organisations which deliver the Commonwealth home support program, including for services such as meals on wheels, and $12.3 million to support the mire aged care service to respond to the needs of older Australians,” Mr Morrison said.

“This additional funding is being focused on those who are most vulnerable, to get them the additional support so they can get access to the essential things they need, particularly through things like Meals on Wheels and homecare support, and the other things older Australians will need going through this time,” he said.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Over 650 deaths across 220 aged care homes – but quality watchdog issues no sanctions

  The aged care quality regulator failed to issue a single sanction as the COVID-19 pandemic gathered pace, despite receiving 340 complaints about infection control. The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission received a total of 2,199 complaints in the three months to June 2020, more than 800 more than it received during the previous... Read More

Six Staff And Four Residents Infected At Facility Where Sick Nurse Worked

A total of ten people including six staff members and four residents tested positive for COVID-19 at Anglicare’ Newmarch House aged care facility in western Sydney yesterday. This sad news comes days after it was revealed that a nurse worked four shifts at this particular facility despite showing visible symptoms of the COVID-19 virus –... Read More

“No jab, no work”: Retirement village operator makes vaccines compulsory for contractors

Being vaccinated will be compulsory for residential aged care workers from September 17, but the same requirement will not be made of staff at retirement villages. However, one Queensland retirement village operator is making vaccines compulsory for all contractors visiting its site. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version