Jun 16, 2022

Man charged with defrauding his own mother of more than $1 million dollars

A 64-year-old Melbourne man has been charged with defrauding his ill mother of over $1 million over a four-year period.

Police allege that the man’s 83-year-old mother did not have the mental capacity to grant permission to her son who transferred $1.14 million from his mother’s account into his own bank account in a period spanning from 2014 to 2018.

It has been reported that the 83-year-old victim lives in Queensland and that her son used her debit card to make over $150,000 in unauthorised transactions that left the elderly woman’s bank account almost empty.

Police also say that the victim’s son did not hold power of attorney and had no legal right to access his mother’s money.

Detectives from the Financial and Cyber Crime Group and Crime and Intelligence Command began investigating the accused after they received a complaint from the Public Trustee on behalf of the victim.

The 64-year-old man was charged with one count of fraud greater than $100,000 last week when Queensland detectives flew to Melbourne and executed a search warrant on the Elwood man’s home address.

Detective Superintendent Lance Vercoe, from the Financial and Cyber Crime Group, told news.com.au that allegations of elder abuse were “disturbing” and urged people to stay vigilant of the signs.

 “In all of my 42 years of policing, I find these types of offences the most gut-wrenching and disturbing, that someone could treat their loved ones this way,” he said.

“I would recommend that the elderly and vulnerable never feel ashamed and to take control if this behaviour occurs, and always reach out to a support person or friend.”

The accused is due to appear before the Brisbane Magistrates Court on July 4.

If you know someone or are a victim of elder abuse or financial abuse and the matter’s not urgent, contact the elder abuse helpline on 1300 651 192.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. It took the Public Trustees FOUR YEARS to report the crime!
    How could that happen!

    How many times can the Trustees fail before their office is cleaned up!

    By the way, if a nursing home suspects financial abuse of a resident by family members there is no avenue or mechanism that allows them to report.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

It’s not for me?! Almost half of aged care workers plan to refuse or are unsure about the COVID-19 vaccine

Nearly half of aged care workers plan on getting the COVID-19 vaccine according to a poll run by HelloCare this week.  The other forty-seven per cent of aged care workers said either "no" they wouldn’t (28%) or that they were still "unsure" (19.7%) about their intentions to get the vaccination.  Read More

13 people injured in violent incident at Victorian aged care home

Thirteen people were injured when a 78-year-old resident lashed out in a series of violent incidents at an aged care home on Saturday morning. Read More

Fired for refusing flu vaccine: Sacked worker set to take case to Federal Court

An aged care receptionist will take her case to the Federal Court, challenging this week’s decision by the Fair Work Commission that her employer acted fairly when it fired her for refusing the flu vaccination. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version