Oct 17, 2024

Renewed Push for CCTV Cameras in Aged Care, NDIS & Home Care Settings

Noleen Hausler, whose hidden camera footage exposed abuse in her father’s aged care home, believes the law will give residents a "visual voice." [iStock]

Independent South Australian MP Frank Pangallo is leading a push to introduce CCTV cameras in South Australian aged care homes, with new legislation set to be introduced to parliament. If passed, the law would permit surveillance cameras in residents’ bedrooms, marking a national first aimed at safeguarding vulnerable individuals and deterring potential abuse.

The proposal comes after several high-profile abuse cases, including the Oakden abuse scandal and disturbing footage captured in 2015 by Noleen Hausler, who placed a hidden camera in her father’s room. Her actions exposed staff mistreatment, triggering widespread calls for better protection of residents.

“These things are still happening,” said MP Frank Pangallo in a recent interview with 9News. “We’re still hearing stories, and I’m hearing stories of residents in aged care that are being abused.”

Protecting the Vulnerable with a “Visual Voice”

Hausler, who became a vocal advocate for reform following her father’s abuse, expressed strong support for the initiative, saying the legislation would provide a “visual voice” for residents unable to defend themselves. “It’s for those who don’t have the ability to protect or defend themselves,” she told 9News.

The proposed legislation extends beyond aged care homes, also applying to NDIS-supported accommodation and in-home care. Advocates hope that the added layer of accountability will deter mistreatment and ensure higher standards of care.

Balancing Privacy with Safety

The push for CCTV cameras has sparked debate about balancing safety and privacy.

While many welcome the initiative as a necessary step toward preventing abuse, some stakeholders may express concerns over residents’ right to privacy in their own rooms. However, the government aims to address these concerns through transparent policies on consent and camera use.

If approved, the legislation is expected to roll out within the next 12 months, giving South Australia’s aged care sector a leading role in driving national safety standards.

With aged care services under greater scrutiny following the Aged Care Royal Commission, the move could set a precedent for other Australian states to follow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

When vaccinating 26 million Australians, expect a mistake or two. But we can minimise the risk of repeating Queensland’s overdose incident

It emerged today that two aged-care residents in Brisbane were given an incorrect dose of the Pfizer vaccine — more than the amount recommended. The 88-year-old man and 94-year-old woman were receiving their vaccinations yesterday as part of the first phase of Australia’s vaccine rollout, which began this week. Both residents are being monitored, but haven’t shown any signs of adverse reactions so far. Read More

Vic healthcare workers to get $3000 bonus, but aged care misses out again

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has announced a $3000 payment for aged care workers, but unlike NSW ‘thank you’ payments, the Victorian payments come with some strings attached. And once again, aged care staff are set to miss out. Read More

Government set to miss target of removing all younger people from aged care by 2025

In 2019, the Coalition government commited to a target that would see no people under the age of 65 living in residential aged care by 2025. With only six months to go, this is unlikley to happen. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version