Oct 13, 2019

Royal commission marks passing of Commissioner Tracey

At its hearing in Melbourne this morning, the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety marked the passing of the Honourable Richard Tracey AM RFD QC. Commissioner Tracey died on Friday, 11 October, after a short illness. He was 71.

Commissioner Tracey was appointed Chair of the Royal Commission on 6 December 2018. He was a judge of the Federal Court of Australia from 2006 until 2018, having been appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1991. He served in the Australian Army from 1975 until 2014, achieving the rank of Major-General. He was Judge Advocate General of the Australian Defence Force from 2007 until 2014, and President of the Defence Force Discipline Appeal Tribunal from 2009 until 2018.

Commissioner Lynelle Briggs AO said that “[Commissioner Tracey] was experienced. He was wise. He was admired. He knew the law like the back of his hand. He was prepared to take a punt if it meant we got the best outcome.”

“His kind words to our witnesses after their presentations gave them comfort and let them know that they had been heard. His gentle guidance and direction to Royal Commission staff always helped, and made our collective lives so much easier.”

The new Chair of the Royal Commission, the Honourable Tony Pagone QC, said of Commissioner Tracey that “[h]is work on this Commission has … been solid, selfless and significant”.

Mr Peter Rozen QC, Senior Counsel Assisting the Royal Commission, described Commissioner Tracey as “[a] fundamentally decent human being whose passing is keenly felt by the Counsel Assisting, Office of Solicitor Assisting teams and all staff of the Aged Care Royal Commission”.

The Commissioners gave their condolences to Commissioner Tracey’s wife, Hilary, and their children: Jack, Philip, Fiona and Rosie.

Commissioner Tracey had, with Commissioner Briggs, finalised the text of the Royal Commission’s Interim Report in late September. The Interim Report will be presented to the Governor-General on 31 October 2019.

Image: ABC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

It’s “inhumane” older Australians are waiting years for home care

Anglican not-for-profit aged care provider, Benetas, joins the choir of voices in Australia calling for the Australian Government to end the Home Care Package waitlist in its upcoming federal budget. As commented earlier this month following the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety’s hearings on Home Care Packages, Benetas CEO Sandra Hills OAM... Read More

Canberra nursing home “failed to deliver” as sanctions imposed

A Canberra nursing home has been issued with sanctions, only four months after an audit found it had passed all 44 quality standards. The BaptistCare Griffith nursing home failed to meet 21 outcomes in an unannounced audit by the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency carried about between 12 and 24 July 2018. The same facility... Read More

92-Year-Old Man Drives His Mobility Scooter Down 100Km/h Freeway

Anyone who travels via motorbike or drives a convertible car will tell you that there is nothing quite like the sense of adventure that comes from feeling the wind on your face as you hit the open road, and apparently, these feelings are not limited by age. A driver by the name of Bruce Bromley... Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version