Sep 14, 2021

Vaccination teams sent to aged care homes to offer jabs before Friday deadline

Vaccination teams sent to aged care homes to offer jabs before Friday deadline

According to reports, there are still 24,000 aged care workers in the sector who are yet to receive their first jab, including small numbers of regional nursing homes where staff vaccination rates are lower than 50%.

Figures released by the federal government’s vaccination task force show that more than 90% of Australia’s residential aged care workforce have had at least one jab as of Monday. 

“We have identified the remaining providers with unvaccinated workers and have roving clinics visiting these facilities to ensure we offer all workers the opportunity to get a jab by the end of the week”, a spokesman for the operation told the Brisbane Times.

For instance, aged care workers in Victoria who have booked their first vaccination by October 1 will be allowed to continue working in the lead-up to their shot.

Aged Care Services Minister, Richard Colbeck, said that the federal government was not expecting to see “a huge number of people who won’t get vaccinated,” and he predicts that will not see any “huge issues” regarding staff availability.

Mr Colbeck also noted that data revealing lagging vaccination rates at particular nursing homes could also be the result of reporting delays.

Earlier this week, Gerard Hayes, Federal President of the Health Services Union (HSU) called for a two to four-week extension of the mandatory one-does deadline, stating that any type of workers’ exodus would have a huge impact on an already overstretched workforce.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

‘Frontline workers’ among those to get priority in Albanese’s housing program

A promise to set up a $10 billion Housing Australia Future Fund to build social and affordable housing was the centrepiece of Anthony Albanese’s Thursday night budget reply. Read More

Queensland records second COVID-19 death in a week as Brisbane man dies

Sadly, a returned traveller has died from coronavirus complications in a Brisbane hospital after arriving back in Australia from overseas. This marks Queensland’s second COVID-19 death in the last week. Read More

New aged care ministers revealed: Everything you need to know

Aged care was a key plank of Labor’s election campaign, promising $2.5 billion for around-the-clock nurses in aged care, improved food, better conditions for residents, and higher pay for workers. Read More
Advertisement