Jan 19, 2024

Second teen arrested over Mornington assault, first revealed to be on bail for prior attack

Untitled design - 2024-01-19T095254.524
A Hastings woman has alleged the 14-year-old charged in Sunday night’s assault in Mornington attacked her in November, causing her to lose consciousness and be hospitalised. [Source: 9News]

Police have arrested a second teenager for his alleged involvement in an older man being pushed off a Melbourne pier, while it has been revealed the first teen who was arrested and charged on Tuesday was already on bail for a prior attack.

On Wednesday, Police arrested a 17-year-old Hastings boy in connection to the incident who will likely be charged at a later date. 

Meanwhile, 9News reported the first teenager – a 14-year-old boy from Crib Point who was charged with reckless endangerment and unlawful assault in relation to the 79-year-old being pushed –  was on bail at the time of the incident for allegedly “coward punching” a 35-year-old woman.

Hastings woman Jamie Tilbrook told the news outlet she was disgusted her accused attacker had been linked to another assault.

She claims she confronted a gang of teens vandalising a bus parked outside her neighbour’s home in November when they turned on her, assaulting her to the point she lost consciousness and had to be taken to hospital. 

“Two boys just come and started smashing me in the head.”

Ms Tilbrook said she now watched her back and doesn’t go outside at night anymore.

Untitled design - 2024-01-16T152704.943
Screenshot of the alleged assault from the video posted on social media. [Source: 3AW Melbourne]

On Sunday, an unassuming 79-year-old man who could not swim was pushed off a pier near Schnapper Point Drive about 11.30pm by a trio of youths before he was rescued by bystanders. The act was posted online by one of the involved teens in a disgusting attempt for social media notoriety. 

Mornington MP Chris Crewther appeared on the Today Show on Wednesday and said the older man is “highly shaken and traumatised” by the event.

If the allegations were upheld by a court, Mr Crewther said those responsible should be punished to the full extent of the law.

“For these kids to act so brazenly as if they don’t give a toss about anything. I mean, that’s just – I’m actually lost for words. I just don’t know what to make of it,” he said on-air.

“It’s a disgraceful thing to have happened […] hopefully these people can give a personal apology to this gentleman,” he said.

The victim has yet to provide a statement to police but the 14-year-old alleged offender is said to have been charged over the assault and for breaching his bail conditions. Both he and the 17-year-old will face a children’s court at a later date.

There are now renewed calls for more to be done to monitor youths on bail.

The investigation remains ongoing and anyone who witnessed the incident or has information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Concerns grow for missing grandmother after discovery of chilling note

Family members of a missing Adelaide grandmother have grave concerns for her welfare after the discovery of a menacing note. Read More

Industrial Relations Bill boosts union push for aged care wage rise

Aged care unions plan to use the recently passed industrial relations laws to push for the desired 25% wage increase as multi-employer bargaining becomes more accessible. Read More

Grandmother’s terrifying reaction after receiving first dose of COVID vaccine

A West Australian grandmother has been rushed to hospital after she became covered in bruises and swelling soon after receiving her first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine. Read More
Advertisement